Upward Architecture & Interiors
Founded by architect Mark Ward, UPWARD Architecture & Interiors is a small, Seattle-based collaborative of creative problem solvers who contribute design, business acumen and technical proficiency in equal measure. We’re known for our work on hospitality, distillery & winery, manufacturing, adaptive reuse, and custom home projects.
We love what we do, every day; our enthusiasm and tenacity drive us. And we want that excitement to be contagious, to spread through our teams and communities to help foster better built environments. While we work diligently to create great architecture, we know that our best work comes when we forge meaningful relationships with our clients. It’s important for us to connect on a human level – to collaborate with people we enjoy working with, laughing with, and creating with.
We remember the original promise of our vocation: that our skill and creativity are intended to be in service of our clients’ endeavors and ambitions. Our role is to reveal and give form and order to their ideas, not simply to look for opportunities to impose our own.
We believe every project is unique and calls for its own problem solving. But while we avoid subscribing to any specific architectural doctrine, three tenets often guide our thinking and creativity:
- First, try to use what’s already there. Adaptive reuse of existing structures
- Active Design. Making buildings and cities that discourage sedentary lifestyles
- Quiet Architecture. Create considered spaces with dignity, integrity and humility
Examples of Projects
- Double Canyon Winery - West Richland, WA
- Zirkle Fruit - Selah, WA
- Tiger Mountain Viewpoint Shelter - Issaquah, WA
- Cedar River Bluff Residence - Renton, WA
- Westland Distillery - Seattle, WA
- SCRATCH Distillery - Edmonds, WA
- Estates Tasting Room - Pioneer Square, Seattle, WA
- Nicon-McGraw Building - Seattle, WA
- Uptown Espresso - SeaTac Airport, WA
- Wasabi Bistro - SeaTac Airport, WA