SHW (formerly S+H Works) was founded in 2009 by Hugh Schaeffer and Sarah Hatfield. Following careers at other local firms, we set out on our own to define our aesthetic and response to the urban environment. Since our inception, we have grown to a staff of twelve and continue to build on our fundamental tenants of inclusive design, urbanism and adaptability. The majority of our work is urban infill within Seattle, reflecting our commitment to the urban environment as a sustainable place to live and work.
Our reach is extensive and diverse, but we are not generalists. We take on projects we believe in and know we can execute. We value long-term clients and relationships – clients that believe in us, trust us, and acknowledge our results. We know it takes a team effort to make a successful project. We view our clients, consultants, and contractors as members of our team. By working together, we consistently bring our shared vision from concept into reality.
Examples of Projects
- HARVARD EXIT THEATRE / ADAPTIVE REUSE
- QUEEN ANNE BEERHALL / ADAPTIVE REUSE
- LODGES ON VASHON / HOSPITALITY
- 1404 BOYLSTON / MULTIFAMILY
- 1806 FLATS / MULTIFAMILY
- BASE 1728 / MULTIFAMILY MIXED USE
- 5902 22ND AVE NW / MULTIFAMILY
- 116 13TH AVE E / MULTIFAMILY
- 2418 NW 58TH / MULTIFAMILY
- 2429 8TH AVE N / TOWNHOMES