Demystifying the Common App: Info Session + Tutorial Webinar
For the 2020 Honor Awards, AIA Seattle is beta-testing the new Common App for Design Excellence for use in the Energy in Design Award evaluation, and we ask that all applicable submitters do their best to complete the Common App. This tool is a natural evolution and expansion of the Energy in Design Calculator from previous years (you’ll notice that section is color-coded green within the form), and an exciting opportunity for Built submissions to move toward design that supports climate action.
Read more about The Common App:
Want a deeper dive? A recording of the info session “Demystifying the Common App” can be found here. Feel free to share! Additionally, Integrated Design Lab is available to offer technical support for the Common App until 5pm September 22. E-mail Michael Gilbride with the subject line “AIA Seattle Common App.”
DEMYSTIFYING THE COMMON APP: INFO SESSION + TUTORIAL WEBINAR
Wednesday, August 26 | 12:00 – 1:00 PM PT | Interactive Webinar + Tutorial
- Christopher Meek, FAIA, IES | Associate Professor and Director, Integrated Design Lab, University of Washington
- Michael Gilbride | Research Associate, Integrated Design Lab, University of Washington
- Corey Squire, AIA | Director of Building Performance and Environmental Design, Positive Energy
Registration deadline: Tuesday, August 25, 5:00pm PT
Every year, jurors praise submissions that reveal the story behind the marketing images. What concepts and considerations drove the design? What were the challenges and opportunities along the way? How did the design team arrive at the solution? Submitters are encouraged to use the project narrative, captions, and inclusion of process work as opportunities to tell a design story.
In addition to the jury’s own criteria, the AIA Seattle community has identified four considerations for the submission review process:
- Inspiration | How does the project manifest its stated intent–in form and function–revealing innovation in both thought and practice?
- Problem-solving | How does the project creatively address challenges inherent in its site, budget, program, materials, collaboration, and context? What are the organizing principles informing design?
- Environmental Sensitivity | How does the project exhibit serious intent to minimize negative environmental impact and enhance its relationship to the environment?
- Social Impact | How does the project enhance the community in which it is situated? How does it help promote a vibrant and equitable community?
Additionally, the newly introduced Common App offers BUILT project submitters Ten Measures for Design Excellence to consider as you tell your project story.
Registration or Live (Virtual) Event Questions?
Contact Zoe Guckenheimer, Program & Event Coordinator at AIA Seattle
Contact Cassie Blair, Associate Director, Programs & Impact at AIA Seattle
Contact Kristen Lound, Associate Director, Growth & Operations at AIA Seattle
SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR 2020 HONOR AWARDS SPONSORS