Decorative Metal Workshop: Hands-on metal fabrication
Metal experts from Decorative Metal Arts (DMA) will demonstrate and explain the technical aspects of steel and lead participants through a hands-on metal demonstration in this exclusive AIA Seattle Member Access event.
Michael Rydinski and Carrie Simmons from Decorative Metal Arts (DMA) will demonstrate and explain the technical aspects of steel and lead participants through a hands-on metal demonstration. We will discuss the suitability of various metal finishes and their specification; the types of corner joints for sheet metal / plate and their cost implications; appearance of weld types and their specification; material sizing considerations when designing.
Participants will leave the metal shop with a fabricated shelf and an elementary understanding of the work that goes into work by DMA.
Come meet fellow members, the DMA team and be prepared to use:
• A hydraulic shear to cut sheet metal to size (think HUGE paper cutter!)
• V-dies on a hydraulic press to form your sheet metal blank into a shelf
• A metal-cutting bandsaw to cut a flat bar to length for a shelf hook
• A hossfeld bender to cold-form a flat bar into a hook
• A drill press to make and countersink mounting holes on your shelf
• A MIG welder to attach the formed hook onto the shelf
• Patina to finish the metal
Limited Availability for this member-only exclusive event – register now.