2017 Materials Matter – Just Do It: Strategies for Projects
Session 4 of the Materials Matter series, Just Do It: Strategies for Projects, presents frameworks for integrating knowledge of environmental and human health impacts from material substances into projects. It explores strategies at play when materials decisions are driven by clients, rating-systems, firms, and even individual initiative. Case studies share lessons learned from on the ground experiences, and speakers candidly discuss the different perspectives and motivators of project team members.
Materials Matter is co-presented by Puget Sound Chapter CSI.
Individual session registration is now available!
SESSION LEARNING OBJECTIVES
- Participants will be able to summarize project case studies which used healthy, sustainable materials and describe the challenges and opportunities of client-driven and architect-driven approaches.
- Participants will be able to explain the different perspectives, pressures, and responsibilities of project team members related to materials transparency.
- Participants will be able to construct strategies for applying a materials matter approach to projects by understanding motivators for different project team members.
- Participants will be able to identify strategies at the individual level to constructively promote awareness of healthy materials selection among product representatives and colleagues.
All sessions: Fridays, 8:00 am – 12:45 pm at Seattle City Hall
June 2, 2017 – Healthy Planet: Materials + the Environment
June 23, 2017 – Healthy People: Materials Science + Human Health
July 14, 2017 – Tools of the Trade: Assessment + Implementation
August 11, 2017 – Just Do It: Strategies for Projects
August 25, 2017 – Beyond Transparency: Materials Disclosure + Practice
$560 – AIA Members + Government Employees + Partners
$330 – Assoc. Members
$1040 – Non-Members
$100 – Students + Scholarships
Pricing includes 20 CEHs/HSWs, light breakfast, beverages for all sessions.
- Chris Hellstern | Miller Hull Partnership
- Elizabeth Powers | O’Brien & Company
- Laura Soma | GLY Construction
- Beth Stroshane | Applied Building Information
All speakers subject to change.
Melissa Balestri ZGF Architects | Edward Clark ZGF Architects | Nicole DeNamur Pacifica Law Group & University of Washington | Jeff Frost Brightworks Sustainability | Aileen Gagney Consultant | Pete Girard ToxNot | Chris Hellstern Miller Hull Partnership | Barbara X. Rodriguez University of Washington | Nat Scholz NOAA | Samantha Siedlecki JISAO at University of Washington | Kathrina Simonen University of Washington & Carbon Leadership Forum | Beth Stroshane Applied Building Information | Elizabeth Powers O’Brien & Company | Laura Soma GLY Construction | Michelle Bombeck O’Brien & Company
Check back as more speakers are confirmed!
All speakers subject to change.
SPECIAL THANKS TO THE SPONSORS OF THE 2017 MATERIALS MATTER SERIES:
SPECIAL THANKS TO THE MATERIALS MATTER ADVISORY GROUP
Chris Hellstern Miller Hull | Ed Clark ZGF | Carl Dominguez schact | aslani architects | Melissa Balestri ZGF | Jake Boyer PROSOCO
Contact AIA Seattle Program Manager Cassie Blair.
Registration and Credit Questions?
Contact AIA Seattle Volunteer Hospitality Missy Garvin.
Contact AIA Seattle Managing Director Kimber Leblicq.