2013 Award of Honor: The Octahedron
Frankenstein, Inc. in collaboration with LMN Architects

Photo Credit: Trevor Dykstra

 

Honors Archive: Lawrence Waldron FAIA (d. 10/2001)

Lawrence Waldron FAIA (BArch UW 1936) founded a practice focused on residential architecture in 1947. In 1952, the firm of Waldron & Dietz ensued, until the departure of Robert Dietz FAIA to become Dean of the University of Washington College of Architecture. In 1982, the firm adopted the name of Waldron Pomeroy Smith Foote & Akira, Architects. In 1995 anticipating its 50th anniversary - a milestone few architectural firms achieve - WPSFA had accumulated a portfolio decorated with awards from design organizations and the education sector in which it performed a major portion of its work; health care and correctional facilities also played a role in the firm's development. The firm did work on numerous community college campuses including Edmonds CC, for which the firm designed all of the campus's major buildings, beginning with the award-winning Master Plan in 1965.

Larry Waldron participated actively in community and professional affairs, giving service including the UW and City of Mercer Island Architectural Commissions, the Seattle Central Association and the Seattle Muncipal League. For AIA, he served AIA Seattle as Treasurer and President (1959) and as AIA Washington Council's first President, in 1961.

 

Good design makes a difference

American Institute of Architects

A Chapter of the American Institute of Architects