2013 Award of Honor: Garage
Photo Credit: Amos Morgan Photography
2013 Award of Honor: Garage
David Miller FAIA (BArch WSU '68, MArch U. of Illinois '72), a founding partner of The Miller|Hull Partnership (recipient of the coveted AIA Firm Award in 2003) also holds a tenured position as Professor in the University of Washington Department of Architecture.
Miller's pragmatic design approach has roots in his Peace Corps experience in Brazil and the creation of economical, beautiful structures using indigenous materials. The firm's modernist work makes a strong contribution to contemporary regionalism in American architecture, winning numerous local, regional, and national design awards and much illustrated in local, national, and international publications.
Notable work includes innovative and affordable residences in Seattle and vacation homes in the San Juans, and high-profile corporate and public projects including a US Border Facility at Point Roberts, Patagonia Distribution Center in Reno, and three projects at the UW.
Often sought as a design critic and juror (Sunset/AIA Western Home Awards, design awards programs in AIA components including Connecticut, St. Louis, Arizona, NW Washington, Pittsburgh, SW Washington, Portland among many others), Miller adds an important dimension to the UW architecture program. A popular teacher, he engages aspiring architects at the University of Washington and in other teaching work, including a term at Tokyo Institute of Technology.
His 2005 publication Toward a New Regionalism, Environmental Architecture in the Pacific Northwest, focuses on ecologically sound buildings in the Northwest shaped by the unique conditions of the region, and the direct connection between sustainable design and the critical issues of regionalism – which together form the underpinnings for authentic and meaningful architectural form.
* Toward a New Regionalism: Environmental Architecture in the Pacific Northwest, by David Miller FAIA (UW Press, June 2005)
� Miller|Hull, Architects of the Northwest, by Sheri Olson FAIA (Princeton University Press, 2001)
· Ten Houses: Miller/Hull Partnership, ed. Oscar Riera Ojeda (Rockport, 1999)
Selected media coverage: * Architectural Record News 12/6/02: "Miller|Hull wins 2003 AIA Architecture Firm Award"
* AIArchitect 12/02/02: "Miller|Hull Partnership receives AIA 2003 Architecture Firm Award"
* Seattle P-I 12/10/02: "Seattle's own Miller|Hull receives architecture award"
* The Seattle Times 12/15/02: Elizabeth Rhodes reports: "Miller|Hull's woodsy, stylized designs define the region and win national acclaim"
* Puget Sound Business Journal 3/28/03: "Sturdy Foundations: Miller|Hull Partnership finds stability, recognition during soft economy"
Good design makes a difference